Wednesday, September 13, 2006

On being a layperson

A conjunction of various discussions has given me a new awareness of how theologically freeing it is to be a layperson in the church. That’s assuming that you choose to be part of organized religion. If you do, I recommend lay ministry over vocational ministry.

Some have pointed out to me that those who are called to vocational ministry assume a higher level of responsibility when they accept the ordination of the church. As a member of a denomination which encourages every member to dedicate their entire being to being a disciple of Jesus Christ, this puzzles me. Aren’t we all responsible to devote our whole selves to ministry whether it’s our vocation or not? Am I any less responsible to demonstrate and promote the values of the kingdom of God in a secular job than within the church walls?

As I’ve considered this and observed those in full-time ministry, it has occurred to me that the extra responsibility is not so much to God as it is to the church. The minister is the face of the church. Ordination charges a person to represent the church at all times.

Not only does this sometimes result in significant pressure to meet higher ethical and behavioral standards, it also draws a box around a person’s theology. Here is what the church believes. Thus, this is what you will believe – and teach and preach. To question the beliefs of the church would be to cause schism within the organization.

As a layperson in the church, my level of commitment to doing the will of God 24/7 is no less, but my level of commitment to the church itself is whatever I choose to make it. Anyone who looks to me as a spokesperson for the church is looking in the wrong place. If my pastor’s theology is weird, there’s a problem in my church. If my theology is weird, I’m just a confused layperson with no authority to speak for the church.

I participate in a forum that often has discussions of theological issues. I find it interesting that people often post theological questions and address them to the many pastors who participate on the forum. However, it’s usually laypeople who compose the bulk of the responses. Perhaps that’s because pastors are busy people and don’t have time to discuss silly theological questions being asked on the internet. Or perhaps it’s because the discussion involves accepted beliefs of the denomination and pastors feel obligated to stick to the “company line”. If there’s only one acceptable answer to a question, it doesn’t make for a very interesting discussion. It takes a brave person to think independently while depending for his or her livelihood on an organization that likes to draw boxes around people's thinking.

As a layperson, I can set my faith aside entirely and impact only those who have mistakenly allowed me to represent God and the church to them and whom I tell about my faith crisis. If it is a prolonged crisis, I may need to set aside formal ministry for a while. I may question basic beliefs of the congregation of which I am a part. Doing so will endanger neither my livelihood nor the integrity of the church. If it’s a mild crisis, I can simply keep my mouth shut when discussions in the area of doubt arise.

I don’t have to know the answers. I don’t have to toe the line. I don’t have to be right. I simply need to love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength – and my neighbor as myself. And act on that love.

You see? This faith stuff is as simple as 1-2-3 so long as you stay out of vocational ministry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, believe it or not, I am alive! I've even posted twice in the past two weeks! Now I'm commenting on your site, what is going on?

Nice post. I liked it a lot. But now, naturally the next question is, what about all those called to vocational ministry?

Should the pastor hold to his church's theology? Or should the pastor lead the way towards a new, maybe better (although I hesitate to use the word) theology? Sure, times are transition are scary. That's why we need leaders.

Maybe that's the pastor's job? Be the leader and the 'controversial one'? After all, we're called to imitate Jesus in leading our flock and he certaintly wasn't safe. Jesus was very 'controversial'. He was a revolutionary.

Now, granted, you can't run around irrationaly with your theology as a pastor because you DO have a responsibility to the church, but I don't think its the responsibility to be safe, its the responsibility to challenge as Jesus did.

Hmmm, you've got me thinking. I think in the next day or two i might update my site again, this time "On being a pastor..." or what it will be like to be one anyway...

Brother in Christ

Upshaw

Marsha Lynn said...

Hey there, Matt. Thanks for the comment. I enjoyed your recent posts and look forward to your next one.

So, you ask, "what about all those called to vocational ministry?" I guess that does throw a monkeywrench into the idea of pursuing a career as a layperson. :-)

If you are really looking for an answer, mine would be: find a peer group. You're fortunate to have come of age in this time. You don't have to be a Lone Ranger out there trying to forge your way alone. You can connect with like-minded Nazarenes from around the world and bounce ideas off each other. There are multiple resources for fellowship and discussion. For example, at http://www.crivoice.org/forums/general/index.html I can be a conservative with the same beliefs that make me a liberal in SW Indiana. At http://emergentnazarenes.blogspot.com/, I can see how others are finding their way as both Nazarene and part of the emergent church.

In other words, if you're going to be a pastor with weird theology, it might help to find other pastors with weird theology and find out how they handle the challenge of pastoring people with whom they have some major differences and representing a church which tries to squeeze them into a preconceived mold. I know several who have taken on that challenge. You're not alone.

Meanwhile, I'm sticking to being a layperson, although as a Sunday School teacher, I do need to keep a fairly low profile on the weird theology stuff. ;-)