Friday, April 15, 2011

On Distance


Five minutes to write about distance for this contest. I have already messed up the logistics of one entry -- no writing, only stumbling through the entry process. And now for the actual writing.
----------------
She's married now. Four hundred miles from home. Not many from around here could make it. Her father and I (her mother) and brother and sister were there. My mother and two of my brothers were there along with a sister-in-law and two nephews. We closed the geographical distance that generally separates us and came together for a day -- from Indiana, Florida, and Virginia to Missouri by plane and minivan. We sat together and, amidst the joy, were aware of those not there. Yet, it was good.

And that's how much I can write in five minutes.

2 comments:

Misty said...

you did a great job! It always amazes me, things like that. How the country, or state (or whatever) can feel so big. And then, suddenly, it isn't. Suddenly everyone seemingly moves mountains, travels and comes together for one moment...

Gaby said...

Congratulations! Beautiful picture. And what a joyous occasion to come together.