Thursday, July 18, 2013

Would you walk across the street for church music?

Morning thoughts:

Yesterday I drove 80 miles to attend a 2-hour church service.  As usual, I took pains to not fall asleep as I drove.  (This seems important to a lot of people, especially the other drivers on the road.)  I had an enticing audiobook with me but started with music.  As I listened, I made mental notes to prune my portable music collection to make room for new music.  One song went on too long and the lyrics had little to say.  Delete.  Another told a story I don't care to hear again.  Delete.  Sure it's shallow and doesn't value the effort behind the recordings, but there are so many recordings to choose from and a mere 16MB of space for everything I want to carry in my pocket.  I can't keep everything if I hope to keep up with new music coming down the pike.

I also had some podcasts with me, but didn't listen to that serious stuff.  After all, I had only two hours on the road and the candy sweetness of a children's audiobook was calling me.  And I was headed toward a 2-hour church service.

I didn't actually delete the music while driving.  I suspect the state lawmakers who told me not to text while driving would likewise frown on figuring out how to delete music while driving.  Instead, I did it during the two-hour service.  There were a lot of people in the service.  Few, if any, noticed or cared if I was distracted by electronics.  Besides, I wasn't the only one.  And maybe I was consulting my electronic scriptures.  (Rationalize, rationalize.)

Driving isn't the only time my chronic sleep-deprivation is a problem.  I also tend to drowse off when doing nothing but sitting and listening.  Combining listening and driving is good.  Doing either alone tends to make my eyelids droop.  Fortunately, there was a loudspeaker to my right last night that made the sound seem sort of like a car radio and I could pretend I was driving and listening.  That went pretty well.

Before the main speaker of the hour(s), however, there were other items on the agenda, including a bunch of music.  It was excellent music -- flawless talent with flawless canned accompaniment.  The quality competed well with the professional recordings in my mp3 collection.  But as I listened, I realized that if the songs were on my iPod, I would delete them.  It's not the style of music I choose for my personal collection.  Not at all.  I wouldn't walk across the street to hear a free concert.  In fact, even as I write this, I am watching time slip away and thinking I might be just a bit tardy for this morning's events and maybe miss the music.

Afternoon thoughts:

We heard this morning that churches should spend less energy worrying about getting the music right.  People walking past the doors don't even know there's music inside, let alone care what it's like.  If they find out we love them, we can stand on our heads to sing and they'll be fine with it.

Huh?  Okay, it's hyperbole, going for the laugh.  But I was listening while sitting in a gathering of people I love.  My sole reason for attending this gathering is to interact with those people.  And yet, I sacrificed this morning's earliest chance for interaction.  And missing the very high quality music was one among several factors contributing to my tardiness.

I have endured much music in the church I don't want to ever encounter elsewhere.  I have also volunteered for church nursery duty in order to excuse myself from concerts.  Maybe music isn't important to many people.  It's important to me.  I will avoid gatherings even of people I love if the music is offensive enough and my sense of obligation isn't strong enough to get me there.

Music isn't that important to many people, but other things are important to them.

"I wouldn't walk across the street to attend a free ______"  What?  A boring lecture on ancient sacred writings?  A lecture on morality and the dire eternal consequences of immorality?  A message about how the God who seems to do nothing to stop tragedy in the world loves them and has a wonderful plan for their life?  An hour of sitting next to friends without interacting with them?

What free event would entice people to walk across the street if their friends were there?

This is something to ponder.  What does it take to make an event designed to offer spiritual nourishment and hope for living more attractive than off-putting?

No comments: