Friday, February 25, 2005

Wrong Number, Small Town, USA

(Note: Names and numbers changed to protect the innocent.)

Ring, ring!!

Hello?

Ronna?

Nope. This is Marsha Lynn. You want 9568. This is 9468.

Oh, I'm so sorry.

That's all right. They get our calls; we get their calls. It's not a problem.

You're from the library, right?

Yes, I am.

Oh... well, I'm sorry again. Good-bye.

I wish I were better at identifying telephone voices. She recognized my name, but I didn't recognize her voice.

At least Ronna's number was fresh in my mind this time because our daughters are in a musical group together and I called her about something last week.

One thing I haven't figured out is why two different people have left messages for Ronna and/or her husband on our answering machine. The outgoing message clearly states our name which sounds nothing like their name. Would you talk to an answering machine that claims to belong to someone other than the person you were calling? Would you call the person who left such a message to tell them they dialed the wrong number?

No comments: