Thursday, May 30, 2013

On being outstanding

This morning I read a couple of glowing accolades from a recent memorial service.  They spoke highly of the dearly departed who was an outstanding person in multiple ways.  When I ran across this heretofore unpublished blog entry, I thought it might be a good time to post it.
----------------------------
Last evening following the rehearsal for a wedding I'm playing for this afternoon, someone asked me two questions as one: "Do you give piano lessons and do you do any recording?"

I understood the first part. The answer is no. I've tried. Giving piano lessons is not in my skill set.

I didn't understand the second part. What type of recording? I sometimes make amateur accompaniment tracks for people wanting to practice a song or audition for something. I've never done anything that goes beyond a mic on the piano attached to whatever device is used for such recordings in a given era. There's a reason for that. I'm not that good. I started my piano career far ahead of my peers. I learned my first Bach 2-part invention in early elementary school. When my piano teacher moved away, I continued with independent study -- playing for hours a day out of any music I could find. However, I developed my skills "a mile wide and an inch deep." I can dabble in most types of music from reading "moderately advanced" printed notation to chording along with the latest popular worship song. The problem is that I never perfect anything. I just dabble here and there. I'm "moderately advanced" in a few areas, but not outstanding in any.

My last post was a five-minute special. I cheated on it. It was supposed to be done without editing. It turns out "without editing" is not an option for me. My backspace key gets a lot of compulsive use as I type. That's why I have so little to show for my five minutes. But even with compulsive editing, my writing is not outstanding. Sometimes people tell me it is above average. I have no reason to discount their assessment, but I'm pretty sure it's not outstanding.

I wonder what percentage of the world's population is outstanding in some area. How many can measure up to Robin Williams for ad lib comedy? How many writers of satire can stand in the same class as Samuel Clemens, a.k.a., Mark Twain? How many cellists have skills on par with Yo Yo Ma?

I'm sure there are many people who are outstanding in various areas and yet not famous, people who do what they do in outstanding ways who have never had their skills recognized beyond a limited sphere of time and space.  Even in this day of viral YouTube videos which give anyone a potential spot on stage if they can do something people enjoy watching.

There was a time I longed to join the outstanding crowd, to be at the top of the pack.  Now I realize I'm not willing to pay the price. I would rather be part of a team, working together to produce something adequate for the need.  Doing my part, carrying my part of the load, but not standing out as above and beyond the rest of the team.

It turns out the person questioning me has a band.  They need a keyboard player.  But my life is full of lesser things that add up to more when taken all together.  At some point I made the choice to give up being outstanding.  I think I'm all right with that choice.  Even though it means I will likely never make a list of top bloggers of America.

No comments: