Thursday, March 03, 2005

On being a writer

I read an article this week that suggested a blog as a good start for becoming a writer. Of course, one would probably need to tell others they have a blog in order to become a writer with readers, but I'm thinking it won't hurt to practice first.

This article suggested writing a weekly column. That sort of discipline scares me. Maybe that's why I'm not actually a writer, only a person who writes.

Life is too wild to write. There are musical costumes to be sewn, meetings to attend, meals to prepare, taxes to figure, general maintenance of soul and body to which I must attend. I write anyway, but most of it is in the form of prayer.

Someone said that if a person can be anything besides a writer, it's a good idea to do so. Can I live without writing? Not well. Can I live without writing for the world to read? Probably. So why am I here?

A deeper question might be, will I keep coming back?


No comments: