Wednesday, March 09, 2005

On writing

Yesterday someone asked me if she could include something I had written on her church web page. She noted that, unfortunately, the church would be unable to pay me anything. Pay me for my words? I know this happens all the time, but it's hard for me to imagine that someone would want to buy my words. I toss out free words every day. There doesn't seem to be much of a market for them. I've even had people walk away while I was still talking, still handing out words to them. Does putting those same words in print give them more value? If so, why? Is it because they're edited and checked for grammar errors? Is it because they're less obtrusive than verbal words, more adaptable to the time schedule of the one receiving them? Is it because I put more thought into them?

Selling words. Come to think of it, some people sell their verbal words: speaking at conferences, preaching sermons, teaching classes. Of course, they have to show up to deliver them. If one sells written words, there's no need to follow them to their destination. I haven't checked back to the church site to see if my words are there yet. I won't have to pay any attention to them once they're there. Nor will I know if anyone reads them or, if someone does, what response they bring.

I have a few words scattered here and there around the internet, all handed out for free. Last time I did a search on my name and town, I discovered someone had copied an Advent devotional I wrote several years ago, along with the rest of the collection, onto a site I'd never seen before. I wonder if that person had permission from the owner of the site where those devotionals were originally published. Does it matter?

The lady with the church website isn't actually buying my words, simply asking for permission to use them. I wonder if offers to pay for words ever come in such unsolicited fashion.

Probably not.

No comments: